Client Related Practice: The Tower (Final Update)

When we returned from the end of the first semester to begin the second, within the group we collaboratively decided on making the project more organised and concise for when the client was brought onto it. Seeing as a pitfall from the first semester was having a lot of unfinished buildings on the outer perimeter of the station, those who had a building were given the task of finished them for after half term, this included myself. When looking back at the status of the building when re-approaching it, I saw notable areas of which needed vast improvement. From this I set about improving the architecture and overall structure of the building whilst correcting some geometry issues that were still lingering from the previous iteration.

One of the first sections I improved was the structural quality of the dome pieces atop of the tower, as they are an eye-catching aspect of the building and needed more detail in comparison to the version that I had shown at the end of the semester.

DomeImage

The primary aspect of the I wanted to improve, was the main front/side of the building because if you look at the state it was in at the end of last semester, it wasn’t in proportion to be appropriately reflective of the source material. Here I improved the geometry of the side, added more structurally sound windows and implemented more detail to the connecting aspects of the building. Additionally I swapped modelling methods and decided that it would more appropriate and accurate if the model was mirrored.

FrontImage

This is the outline shape of the statue, it may not look like much but it’s an improvement on the previous iteration. . I did plan of creating a fully 3D version of it but through difficulty and time constraints I decided to leave it as a texture layered onto an object of a similar layout to the statue on more of a 2D surface.

StatueImage

When looking back at what I needed to improve/finish I decided against using a banner that would’ve simply said “Grand Opening” and opted for the railings that are prominent in the modern design and images from around that era of The Tower.

RailingsImahe

All together, the changes are prominently summarised below;

TowerImage TowerImage2

Doesn’t look like much compared to the actual building without texturing because a majority of the detail is going into the texturing, so here below is the finished model in a test UDK level with the finished textures applied.

TowerImageUDK1 TowerImageUDK2

TowerImageUDK3

Now there’s a few bits I would like to improve on and I may revisit this in my spare time within the future as a test of personal progression on ways to improve it. If you currently compare it to the source material, you will begin to notice a few detailed elements missing, of which will be visually explained by having scaffolding present around the building as it was finished with construction within the year that this project is designated. I’m generally more than pleased with how it came out considering how long I spent/struggled with it. Honestly, partially subjective but I was surprised the texturing came out at the quality it did as I was expecting far worse from myself, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s