As a tutorial, Paul showed us how to create a studio setup for looking at models and presenting them in more of a professional way. First we started out with 3 shapes, distanced appropriately so that the light would cast dynamic shadows in accordance to the distance, instead of 3 shapes in a line with the obvious shadows. Then adding 3 lights and a plane to act as the backdrop, for the light to cast a shadow on.
Here’s how the shapes look without materials, simply sitting in the studio setup.
Then here is the setup, with lights, camera and backdrop. And the camera facing angle with the materials added.
Rendered out, gives you something that looks like this.
I loved how it came out, I remember doing something similar to this in College with Blender and having a setup for 3DS Max is certainly useful for future and current projects.
To test our abilities and for personal learning, we were tasked with doing the alphabet challenge. Of which you choose a specific typeface and attempt to model it. I chose the font ‘Impact‘ simply because I knew how much of a torrid time I would have. Here’s a brief look at Impact in action, just for reference;
Here is where I started, obviously at the start of the alphabet. I would’ve gone in non-alphabetical order to do the easier shaped ones first and to do the more naturally tasking ones afterwards, but doing this out of order just seemed wrong. So with this screenshot, most were particularly easy to model, you can see the rough look curves on the models because I was looking to having them be considerably low on the polygon count.
You can start to see with the rest of these letters, the point in which I figured out an easy method of creating them (Simply taking elements from previous letters and melding them to new ones, for example; the lowercase ‘g’ has the same curve as the previously seen ‘b’). Multiple instances of the same letter are simply a duplication, just altered slightly (I can see how this in particular can relate to real-world modelling in the sense of making things procedural to use aspects of objects multiple times). The primary pitfall of were I can the things I did wrong is in the curvature, which is something i’ll have to work on for when it comes to life-like modelling.
And finally, all of them in one shot.
Very, very useful tutorial overall. I think the trial and error of learning what works and what doesn’t was the primary learning curve of it. I’ll be sure to try this further on down the line to compare the progress (if any) that I will have hopefully have made.
For another tutorial, we had to create a level and then on a subsequent tutorial, use this level to add a Kismet element (Interactive elements, such as triggers) to the level to make a door open. Heres a couple of screenshots of the level (Note: I’ve tried multiple times to get a video recording of the level for better reference, even attempted doing it in GIF form, but my attempts at doing so have all failed. Screenshots will have to suffice until I find a workaround, i’m afraid). The first screenshot is the door of which its button is located to the left of it, (I was forced to use the mesh of a stone box because the mesh suggested in the tutorial was missing from the version of UDK I was using at the time). Second screenshot is the back wall, this comes from the post-tutorial were I simply went crazy with the lighting fixtures, and still I couldn’t get the back wall to light up, maybe next time.
Here is the said ‘button’ and for reference of the door opening, here’s the empty space it leaves. (Squint hard enough and you can see that I didn’t push the right door out far enough so you can see aspects of its mesh still)
And the Kismet trigger from the editor.
I really did like this tutorial, the first real experience with UDK in an interactive sense with using Kismet, enjoyable and very useful for future projects.
Product a tutorial, of which the task was to create a simple platform (with removed sections on two edges) and have an object that’s movable with physics and such. (Note: If I can find the original file that I used for the tutorial, I will attempt to provide a DropBox link to it, if I remember of course)
Here is the said object.
Here is the action screenshot that I took.
All in all, a very useful tutorial that I think will be extremely useful and possibly vital in later projects for physics templates.