Client Practice: Coal

After I had finished the boxes, during that session within the studio we self-assigned ourselves to micro groups in order to more efficiently manage the project. I was assigned to the ‘Train Tracks’ group. With this and the alteration to the asset list in accordance to group related assets, I chose to make Coal. Approaching this, I decided to take two approaches to this and create a single coal piece and a ‘heap’ of coal, to be used in correlation with things such as the Coal Cart/Carriage or just on its own.

CoalHeap CoalSingle

Client Practice & Self Initiated Project: Boxes

So after the Dustbin fell through as a tangible asset, I picked another asset from the asset board, of which was Boxes. I took this as Cardboard Boxes, so I got to work on verifying that they were actually in existence at the time period, as this asset list hasn’t been vetted for historically inaccurate assets. According to this link, Cardboard Boxes were invented in 1817 of which is appropriate for the 1914 timeline of the Paragon Project. Now approaching this, making boxes seems simple (It is) but as more of a beneficial exercise for myself and the project, I decided to make an array of boxes of which are similar in substance but consist of varying element that can be used in different manners.

Box003

Here we have 5 different variants. Two of which are the same box but with varying height on their respective flaps. The third one (according to the screenshot above) is the partially opened box that gives the viewer the potential to look within its contents. The fourth is the closed box and the fifth is a box with a lid. Below is those very boxes textured and placed into a test UDK level;

Box001 Box002

Seeing as I am constructing a house within my Self Initiated Project module, I may also use these in some capacity.

Client Practice & Self Initiated Project: Dustbin

So after The Tower was finished I was left with nothing to do except go through and do various assets, with this I looked upon the list within the studio and picked from it a relatively simple asset to ease myself into the mindset of creating content within a shorter period of time, of which will help me within my Self Initiated Project module. I chose to do a Dustbin. I was later informed that the dustbin I had created and the asset in general were not of the time period that we had designated and thus were not needed for the project, so I then picked another asset (Of which I will go over in a separate post). Instead of simply discarding the model and textures as time wasted, I have decided to find use for it within some capacity in the other aforementioned module.

Bin4 Dustbin Dustbin2 Dustbin3

I built this to be primarily a metallic dustbin and I modeled it into 3 separate elements of which can be interchangeable dependent on preference, with: The main body, the trash that can go into (near the top of) the bin and the lid that can go atop of the bin itself. The screenshot above is just one of the many positions and instances that the dustbin can be placed and looked upon.