For a tutorial session, we were shown the basics of using Google Sketchup as a tool for coming up with quick concepts for ideas we may have in future projects. We were shown a simple, yet very effective way of creating a basic level design. I had a quick go myself attempting create a city level map;
As you can see it’s fairly basic in design and easily represents my skill-set at the time. After the tutorial i had another attempt at making a similar city level but with a bit more complexity added to the level.
And here was from the portion of the tutorial from when we were shown how to import objects that had been pre-rendered and completed by those in the online community who’d uploaded them for public use. I used this to implement into the street design to give it more of an authentic look.
Overall, i enjoyed the first attempts at producing something in Google Sketchup. I can definitely see the use of it as a tool for creating quick 3D visuals for concepts and should prove to be a very useful tool in coming projects.
Game-play Concept Ideas
To integrate this character into a game-play perspective i thought of a number of concepts that could work for how this character operates:
- Third-Person Perspective
- Due to the narrative aspect of powers not being able to efficiently multitask, the idea arose that the character switch ‘Modes’ between Flight and Walking/Hovering.
- Weapon-wise, it isn’t essentially an easy task to decipher what kind of combat route the game would take. Taking the concept of Psionic Energy ‘Hand Blasters’ would be the only ranged combat option that disregards the characters inability for vigorous melee combat.
- HUD (Heads up Display) I was thinking that there would be a ‘Concentration’ meter implemented that would measure the concentration of the protagonist against how much ‘Chaotic’ behaviour was going on around him. If the meter drops below a certain point, the powers cease working. Causing players to think about flying into specific areas to retain abilities or stop themselves falling mid-flight.
- Having a character who can fly and speeds such as this, it would be important to either limit the speed he can go as a narrative point such as “Character gets an onset headache if going to quickly” or expanding the size of the level to ensure maximum potential free-roam but limiting the player to the map because of “Military or Rhombus presence”
- The enemy presence within the game can take the form of Rhombus members and associates. Additionally the Shaman’s minions can be an enemy that begins emerging as the player progresses through the narrative.