During a tutorial as a group, we were shown how to stitch various images together to create a collage image of a designated topic. So i decided to have a go myself. As a starting point i wanted to go for something along the lines of an apocalyptic wasteland. When i started this, i began searching for desert roads such as the one below;
After i tinted the colour balance of the image so that it would appear to be in a ‘serene’ nuclear environment, with an orange glow to give it that apocalyptic vibe. Additionally i wanted the viewer to have visual conformation that it’s that specific type of scene i tried creating, so i added a mushroom cloud into the distance. With this i didn’t want to leave it as a deserted nuclear envisioned clear road, so i added the generic apocalyptic zombie hoard. Now i wanted to add the hoard marching up the road but i stumbled onto a great up close picture of some actors near camera posing in character. So i decided to edit this and add it near screen so it put more focus onto the zombies, whilst still maintaining the apocalyptic essence i was trying to capture.
I’m rather content with the final result, although i’m not as experienced with the colour saturation as i’d like to be. Although it has the basic essence i was trying to capture, enough to make it vaguely ‘believable’. Overall i believe this was a fairly interesting exercise and has definitely shown me the use of conceptualizing ideas through the use of meshing different preexisting objects.
Within a tutorial i was shown by one of the tutors ways in which to use Photoshop more easily to create quick concepts. Coupled with learning the basic functions, the tutorial was centered primarily around distorting imagery for beneficial purposes, this is achieved by using tools such as; Burn, Heal, Lasso, Dodge and Polygonal Lasso, with additional tips on how to use Hue and Saturation Adjustments for better effect.
Here was my first attempt, i generally never used Photoshop in any prior concepts before so this was pretty new to me. For a first attempt i’m generally happy with how it came out. Looking back on it, i would’ve been a lot sharper with the execution of using the tools now i know what to do. I mistakenly used the Burn and Heal tools in this to create these image without the realization they were tools primarily for distortionary purposes like shading.
Here was my second attempt. I tried to incorporate some freehand perspective into the concept by making it seem it was on a road going off into the distance but as you can see it was abundantly clear i had a lot to learn. I was generally content with the image, i tried to capture a bus travelling down a desert road near to dusk and used the tools available to do so. I was inspired by the lighting at the front of the bus by something i’d seen years ago on Art Attack i believe, it was were the presenter took a black sheet of paper and instead of drawing the image he would only draw the parts of the image where the light would hit it. I tried to get that effect, yet the scene wasn’t sufficiently under-lit to achieve this so i attempted to effect on the rays of light protruding from the front section of the bus.
Overall, i can see the use for Photoshop when it comes to future projects. Obviously i’m going to have to work on refining my skills in order to better convey concepts but it’s a start.
During a Photoshop tutorial, the tutor showed the various techniques involved with making tileable imagery. As a task, we were given free reign to find various imagery from the real world in an attempt to find images appropriate for the use in a practical environment.
To do this we took the images, selected a portion of the image that would be suitable for tiling. Then from this offset the image and clean the image appropriately so it looks viable for tiling. Once this was done, we mass produced the image in another document and placed several copies of this image in sequence with one another to test tile-ability.
As a result, i found 5 images and used the skills learned within this tutorial to produce 5 images that are of a ’tile-able’ nature:
Overall, i think that this is an effective method for producing textures for real-world object textures for appropriate situations that require them, such as 3D Modelling.