3DS Max – Polygon Replication Challenge (PC)

Another challenge! This time we were given a replication challenge with a limitation. That limitation being the dreaded Polygon count, in an attempt to show us the importance of limiting poly counts in models as a higher count can rarely be run within modern games. The choices were as follows;

  • Nintendo 64 – Limit of 64 Polygons
  • Computer Chair – Limit of 128 Polygons
  • PC, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse Combination – Limit of 256 Polygons

Still being fairly new to the software, and looking at my last disaster of a model, i decided to opt for the easier PC Setup replication. The easier of the three choices based on the lack of requirement for curved edges and overall difficulty, i got to work.

First i went to extensively get the textures to be used for the model. I knew that from inference, most faces of the objects wouldn’t need texturizing because of how they wouldn’t be visible in the scene.

CaseFrontTexture Mouse Keyboard

Here are the initial build images of the model, i knew that from the polygon count i had to watch how many faces the model could actually have, so all the models were primarily built from square based primitives.
ComputerAttempt1PreTexture

Adding the textures and voila, here are the images showing the final model in the scene.
ComputerTextureRender2 ComputerTextureRender3 ComputerTextureRender

And the final polygon count:

ComputerPolyCount

Overall i liked the challenge, i think that it’s enlightened me into how to better texture models with also giving me insight into the required limiting factors that need to be in place to limit the polygon counts within games. I think in terms of improvement i could get better quality of textures and refine the models.

Advertisements

Photoshop Tutorial #2: Tiled Textures

During a Photoshop tutorial, the tutor showed the various techniques involved with making tileable imagery. As a task, we were given free reign to find various imagery from the real world in an attempt to find images appropriate for the use in a practical environment.

To do this we took the images, selected a portion of the image that would be suitable for tiling. Then from this offset the image and clean the image appropriately so it looks viable for tiling. Once this was done, we mass produced the image in another document and placed several copies of this image in sequence with one another to test tile-ability.

As a result, i found 5 images and used the skills learned within this tutorial to produce 5 images that are of a ’tile-able’ nature:

Overall, i think that this is an effective method for producing textures for real-world object textures for appropriate situations that require them, such as 3D Modelling.